NHS Arden & GEM Commissioning Support Unit has extensive experience of supporting commissioners to deliver Personal Health Budgets (PHBs), which give individual patients more freedom and control over the health and care services they receive.
• A multi-disciplined team with well-established relationships with local authorities, social care services and the third sector, supporting better engagement, integration and effective delivery of PHBs.
• An efficient service, delivered through our unique hub and spoke operating model.
• Consistent, safe and effective processes to deliver a person-centred service which improves quality of life and health outcomes and provides value for money.
• An established seven-step model to develop and manage PHBs, based on national guidance and learning from early adopter sites.
• Extensive experience of all financial aspects of PHBs, from developing indicative budgets to managing direct payments and mitigating risks.
• Strict governance procedures and regular monitoring to help ensure money is spent wisely.
• A range of brokerage services developed in partnership with the third sector, to support service users with their PHBs.
• Commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of our population and support for enhancing the use of PHBs in the provision of future health and social care services.
We have extensive experience and the practical knowledge to deliver effective PHB solutions which offer greater patient choice, improved care and better value for money.
We help you to develop flexible and responsive services designed around individual needs, transforming the patient experience with the potential to significantly improve individual health and wellbeing outcomes.
In partnership with CCGs across Warwickshire, Coventry and Northamptonshire, we took part in a national pilot programme to test the feasibility of Personal Health Budgets. As one of just three CSUs in the country involved in the second wave pilot for PHBs, we gained valuable insight and the practical skills to deliver effective PHB solutions.
We developed a bespoke Personal Health Budgets scheme, on behalf of CCGs in Warwickshire, Coventry and Rugby and Worcestershire. Working with providers, local authorities and other partners, we provide the infrastructure to deliver effective PHB across continuing healthcare, learning disabilities and mental health care. This work included procuring brokerage services, negotiating jointly funded packages, supporting communications and defining and monitoring health outcomes.
Although PHBs are intended to be cost neutral, by delivering PHBs properly, we have seen cost avoidance for one of our CCG clients of 16%, allowing them to reinvest in the service.
“The budget definitely has been helping us to be creative, to look at her as a whole person, to look at her physical, social and psychological needs.”
Judy, mother of patient with a personal health budget
To view our Public Health Budget case studies please click here.